Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Directing Shakespeare

Today is a rare day off, so I thought I would update my blog. I now have now earned my Bachelor's in Entertainment Design from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. It's been an interesting three years, but it's been worth it.

Now I'm in the middle of directing my first production, William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. I'm taking kind of a different angle to the text, in which I'm really playing up the comedy of some of the scenes, and that is going to be facing up against the serious matter of the play. For example, Act 4 Scene 2 is almost low comedy, and that is being played off of Act 4 Scene 3, which is Juliet's vial monologue. I think that by having such a contrast between scenes it will serve heighten the drama of the play as a whole.

Things are moving along, and with fifteen days until we open, I am glad of it. It could be smoother, but like I said, this is my first production. There are a few hiccup points, such as a few of the monologues, but these are difficult for any actors; and my cast is doing a great job with the challenge that the text provides. After the day off, and actually having time to write this, I'm really looking forward to jumping back into rehearsals.
Yours,
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment