Friday, February 7, 2014

Caged Tiger.

Today was my mother's birthday, and so I wanted to do my best to do something for her, especially considering all that has happened in the past few months. I started by baking one of her favorite cakes, seen here in the middle:


That is a Jello cake, a white cake infused with cherry Jello and then covered in whipped topping. In terms of culinary history, it is very much a dated desert, most likely from some time in the 1960's, and most likely arising from a cookbook printed by the company. In the photo above, it is flanked by a spice cake with cream cheese frosting, and on the other side a cottage pie. Shortly after this was taken, I made a rookie mistake, and slipped on some non-stick spray on the floor. Let's just say the cottage pie (what was left of it) did not look so good after that. 

All of the cooking today took up most of my time, but I did manage to get this done today as well:

One more hat. This one uses another technique I haven't done in a while. That is creating the pom-pom for the top. It is then stacked on while closing up the top stitch. (You can also see my girlfriend photo bombing the hat.) 

In short, I felt very domestic today. While part of me feels accomplished, I am looking forward to things settling into a routine so that I can truly get into building things again.

No comments:

Post a Comment