Saturday, February 1, 2014

January 2014

Today is February 1st, which means January is now officially over. To say that it has been a rough month might be considered an understatement.

In the early part of the month, my father was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer, and had to undergo an extensive operation. Part of me is still adjusting to the new routine of taking care of him every day. Unfortunately, this also means that I need to put a lot of my travelling plans on hold for the foreseeable future. I need to know where my priorities are.

I don't really believe in making "New Year's Resolutions" To me, they always seem like goals that are usually going to fail. I have no problem with setting goals though, and to that end, I have set two major ones for myself.

The first of these is one that I set for myself on my twenty fifth birthday: To make my first million dollars and to change the world for the better by my thirtieth birthday. I will be turning twenty seven this year. I've made some progress, but I have much further to go.

The second goal focuses more on a project I have wanted to try, and that is to make something every day. For the month of January, I needed something small and portable that I could occupy my time with, and chose knitting. It is small, portable, and forces you to focus your thoughts. Knitting while angry is practically impossible.

To that end, with the worry about my father, January was a productive month, with 35 hats and 4 scarves being made. I have also re-read Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris, one of my go-to biographies of my favorite president. Finally, to round out the count, I received three rejection letters.

Until Later,
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment