Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Thrift Shop Finds for June

Often when we seek something in particular, it is nowhere to be found. On occasion though, we find something else instead. Today's Goodwill finds are an excellent example:


Aside from a common theme of "travel" these objects take me back to a very particular part of my childhood. I remember very clearly watching "Raiders of the Lost Ark" at the age of 7, and that started a very vivid obsession with history and archaeology (even though I still have the occasional difficulty spelling that word.) This also started my fascination with Lucasfilm, a fact that was cemented when my father took me to see the Star Wars re-release in theaters. (Side note: 7 Year Old + Nazis getting their Faces Melted = Traumatic Nightmares for about 6 Months.) 

The planes? Not too much special about them, except for the fact my best friend from high school is in the Air Force, working on planes of the same model that is featured above (The Hercules.) Both planes are high quality metal miniatures, and came together in a grab bag for 99 cents.

Finally, there is a National Geographic with three of the insert maps that used to be featured. That obsession with history that was born when I was young was nurtured by my great-aunt, who insisted there should always be copies of National Geographic and Smithsonian magazines around for me to read and re-read. The issues with the maps were always my favorite, and I would spend hours looking at them, planning and plotting wild adventures. 

In the end, I did not find what I was looking for, but I did find something much more valuable instead.




1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    This is my first time i visit here. I found so much entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here. also see my site Cab services in Bhubaneswar.

    Keep it Up...!!

    ReplyDelete