Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Reflections Upon New Work

Inspiration can strike in the strangest of times, and in the strangest of moods. Lately, I have been spending my days exhausted, working as hard as I can. It isn't for the money, on the contrary, it is for the work itself. The joy I gain from gardening, working in the studio, making art until I am bleeding and exhausted, and the search for more artifacts to preserve is fundamentally tiring and yet exhilarating. There are so many causes that need work, be it poverty, education, or crime. I want to help them all, and to know I am making a difference. I don't care about recognition for what I have done, other than in a way that might help me gain traction to go further. I know that I do not want to trust others, but I know that by trusting them, even more can be done. And I am frustrated that it always comes down to dollars and cents. That is half the reason we are here in this situation now. The middle class is shrinking, and while the economy is doing better, it is still the norm. I am frustrated that as I walk past monuments, I can see even more graffiti on them than before. I want to preserve these war monuments in Pittsburgh, not to glorify war at all, or even remember those who fought. I want people to be able to look at these things, these objects of great military power, and picture, just for that moment, the destruction they can unleash. I want that thought to sober them, to avoid the mistakes of the past that have led us to war. (1)

I want people to realize their dreams, not just have them. By having the people I speak to write them down, I want them to stop and focus, and actually plan some way to actualize that dream. We all have the answers to get what we want, and there is no guarantee that it is going to be immediate or easy. The answer is that there is almost always a way to achieve one's dreams. (2)

Going back to the money thing, I was surprisingly disappointed to find out a great man, who I have had the pleasure of meeting once, and who I believe is doing some great things, was born independently wealthy, and that was how he was able to achieve most of his early success. This doesn't make me respect him any less, but it does make me wonder if I, who was not born wealthy, can achieve something great to change the world.

The ironic thing is that how well inspiration strikes when one is tired, in mind, body, and spirit. The tiredness from my body will go away, and as I work, my body will be stronger for it. My mind, sleep always helps. My spirit on the other hand, might just learn to be patient. I want to see change, and to make it happen now. I perhaps just need to remind myself that not all change is sudden, and the glaciers have changed the Earth.

The Projects:
1) Hampton's Battery, a group dedicated to preserving the artillery pieces on display in Pittsburgh and beyond.
2) The Dream Grimoire, an interactive performance piece with Theatre Sans Serif
3) Gardening in the 18th century methods at Woodville Plantation
4) Artie Goes West with Theatre Sans Serif
5) My backyard farming
6) Designing a boat for the Anything that Floats competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment